Windows 7 - Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800420CD

Asked By dagar7 on 25-Jan-10 05:29 PM
After using Windows Live Mail Desktop in Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit) for
3 months, to access mail from AT&T, my wife's computer developed the
following error that results in a continous attempt to download messages,
counting up into the thousands, after receiving the messages that were
actually in her At&T Yahoo mail box (I checked via web to verify her settings
and see what was in her web mailbox). After the 15 new e-mails were received
by Windows Live Mail, it keeps on trying to receive thousands of messages,
but none actually show up in her In box and this will continue until I close
Live Mail and click Stop to stop the download attempts.
I have run a Repair on Live Essentials, which said it repaired Mail, but we
still have the problem. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Server Error: 0x800CCC90
Server Response: -ERR problem retrieving message.
Server: 'pop.att.yahoo.com'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800420CD
Protocol: POP3
Port: 995
Secure(SSL): Yes


--
dagar7




Michael Santovec replied to dagar7 on 26-Jan-10 06:02 PM
Some people have reported similar problems when two PCs try to access
the same e-mail account a the same time?  Could this be happening in
your case?

--

Mike - http://TechHelp.Santovec.us
dagar7 replied to Michael Santovec on 27-Jan-10 04:56 PM
Thanks for replying. The problem started with only one PC accessing the
account. After a couple of days and failed efforts by AT&T support chat and
phone call with Tier 2 support telling me problem was in my computer, I did
put my wife's account on my spare computer, also running Windows 7 Home
Premium & Windows Live Mail, and the problem also occurred on that machine.
When I close Live Mail, the download dialog box just continues to run on with
supposed/phantom downloads (none actually show up in any mailboxes) going up
in the 10s of thousands before I clicked Stop.
To further troubleshoot, I set up a new AT&T sub-account e-mail address,
added it to my wife's computer (where problem started), unchecked "Include
this account when receiving mail" on her original account to stop it from
downloading and checked "Include this account when receiving mail" on the new
account/e-mail address. When Live Mail was run, the new e-mail worked
properly, downloading some test messages I had sent it, and when Live Mail
was closed, there was no longer a run away download going on. I again enabled
the old e-mail and opened Live Mail, closed it and had the run away download.
I am pretty much convinced this has to be an AT&T server problem, but if
anyone has any other ideas I could try, please let me know. In the mean time
it will be back to calling AT&T 2nd Tier Support.
Thanks

--
dagar7
dagar7 replied to dagar7 on 27-Jan-10 05:34 PM
Problem resolved with second try through AT&T Tech Support Tier 2. Problem
was corrected by them removing all mail from inbox at their server and
putting it in a temporary folder for us to access via web instead of Live
Mail.
--
dagar7
bobneh replied to dagar7 on 17-Feb-10 03:15 PM
"dagar7" wrote:
Gary VanderMolen [MVP] replied to dagar7 on 15-Apr-10 04:25 PM
Login to your account via webmail (http://mail.yahoo.com), then move
all the older messages from the Inbox to a different folder in webmail.
While you are there, also empty the online Spam and Thrash folders.
Then try Windows Live Mail again.

--=20
Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)
Microsoft MVP program: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com


bit) for=20
messages,=20

settings=20
received=20
messages,=20
close=20
but we=20
Thanks