Windows 7 - Cannot install KB2479943; FixIt keeps saying it fixed a problem, try now.
Asked By Greg Goss on 04-Dec-11 06:37 PM
I just discovered that my auto-update has been trying and failing to
install KB2479943 for a year now, ever since I started using this
If I click through from the log, I eventually end up at FixIt which
tells me that windows components must be repaired, then asserts that
they have been fixed. But the update will still not go in, and Fixit
still says that windows components must be fixed.
If I click into "this did not fix my problem" from FixIt, I get a
screen that says "Windows Update|No problems need attention."
But if I try express update, I will get the same failure as always.
Greg Goss replied to Greg Goss on 04-Dec-11 06:38 PM
Many other updates have been successfully installed in that year.
MowGreen replied to Greg Goss on 05-Dec-11 04:03 AM
Which edition of Windows, Greg ?
If it is XP, then check the installation log for possible clues. it is
located in Windows - KB2479943.log
If this is XP Media Center, it is also in Windows but the log is -
Have you tried manually downloading, *saving* the update, configuring
the system to Clean boot, and then try installing it from the Clean boot
You can obtain it by starting here -
A Description of the Safe Mode Boot Options in Windows XP
How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows
Vista or in Windows 7
Greg Goss replied to MowGreen on 05-Dec-11 10:47 AM
XP Pro 2002 SP3
They do not make that very "discoverable". I am looking at the "it
failed" in every thing clickable from the log that the clickable
results provides me and it just gives other variants on "it failed".
The log file is now at http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22139363/KB2479943.log
I think that is a public file.
The log has 2.5 megabytes of stuff in it, perhaps from a year of
trying. Each line has nn.mmm. The log starts with
1.890: 2011/03/08 13:50:59.528 (local)
1.937: Hotfix started with following command line: /si
1.937: In Function GetReleaseSet, line 1240, RegQueryValueEx failed
with error 0x2
(safe mode suggestion will be tried.)
Greg Goss replied to MowGreen on 05-Dec-11 11:57 AM
I am currently running it from safe mode with gui but no network. It
complained and said that safe mode installation was not recommended
unless there was a problem otherwise.
It claims that the installation was successful. Now I have to reboot
back into full XP -- which takes a while on this antique. It looks
like your advice may have worked.
-------------------------------------------- Reboot ---------
Heh. Without networking in safe mode, my Usenet program could not send
that. So, after a reboot, the updated copy of the log file is now at
I do not know how to read that. If an "exception" failed, does that
mean that everything was A-OK? Windows Update now says that
everything is up to date. Executing it from safe mode went apparently
If I have been living with a hole in Media player for a year, and play
internet-supplied media, am I already compromised even after the hole
has been patched? AVG has never complained about anything.
MowGreen replied to Greg Goss on 05-Dec-11 04:05 PM
Some of the so-called errors in the installation log are not really
errors. As to why the log shows them as "errors", you will need to ask
Microsoft. What we are concerned with are the copying and replacing of
the files included in the update and updated information in the registry.
It appears that the update finally installed successfully, Greg. Let's
hope I am right. <w>
There are some "odd" entries in the log that appear to be stemming from
RealPlayer being present as a plug in for the Chrome browser. Perhaps
that is why the update was repeatedly offered as MS and Google software
do not play nice with each other -
63.594: Source:C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\Update\r1puninst.exe
63.594: Source:C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application
Greg Goss replied to MowGreen on 05-Dec-11 05:52 PM
The same network management program that told me I had unapplied fixes
waiting also told me that my spyware was turned off. Turning it back
on, it claimed that RealPlayer was a false virus check trojan. Once I
let Teatimer do what it wanted to with RP, it seemed to go away
satisfied. My AVG never complained about my real player.
Since Real was not CLAIMING to be a virus checker, I shrugged it off as
a false positive.
MowGreen replied to Greg Goss on 07-Dec-11 12:07 PM
Methinks you had best have this system scanned from a boot CD to ensure
there are not any other surprises awaiting you, Greg.
I recommend trying one of the below with the system connected to the
internet. The Hard Drive will *not* be active so there is no further risk
of more malware being downloaded -
Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10
How to create a Bitdefender Rescue CD